Friday, December 16, 2011

Hopefully Cautious

I wouldn't consider myself a person who worries much. I'm usually the one to tell my husband to stop worrying. I am, however, a bit of a realist. I like non-fiction, not fantasy. I dream of things that could actually conceivably happen, not of being a superhero or being able to fly. So of course, I pay attention to statistics. I know that not every pregnancy results in a happy, healthy baby at the end of 40 weeks. So many of our close friends have gone through miscarriages. And now I have to wait 12 weeks before the risk goes down significantly? That started to really stress me out.

"Don't worry about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

How many times have I quoted that to other people?

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6

It's so tough to let go of that sometimes.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'" Jeremiah 29:11-13

I have gone back to this verse more times than I can count over the last several years. Why is it that I need to constantly be reminded that God is in control? It's a constant battle, but I am so thankful that God is faithful. He continually and generously fills us with His peace when we ask Him for it.

So that's what I did, and continue to do on a daily basis. And my worry is gone. The peace I feel is so restful. Of course there is the possibility that things may not work out exactly perfectly. That's not magically going to go away. But I am so thankful that the Lord is in control. He has seen every day that this little baby will live. He created it for a specific purpose. And He has blessed me to carry it.

Thanks God!

No comments:

Post a Comment